The Clockwork Hero
and the Bravest of Girls
BOOK TRAILER AND READING
Two vampire hunters, from two different times.
I have been hunting vampires since I was fashioned by my creator, the clockwork specialist, Beatrice Hansworthy. It is the only purpose of my existence. It is already over one hundred years since then and the steam era is but a distant memory. I wish the same were true of vampires. I am alone in my mission, but I will persevere until it is complete. I will remain strong.
Some would say that twelve years old is too young to be hunting vampires - I might be one of them. Even though this is my destiny, and if my family doesn’t do it, there’s no one else, that doesn’t mean I want to go out alone. I should tell my parents how I feel, but we have this rule. We never hunt together, because there are too few of us left to risk it. I know I have to try to be strong, but I’m really not feeling it.
What will happen if they decide to work together?
BOOK DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
- Which is your favourite part of The Clockwork Hero and the Bravest of Girls? Why is this?
- If you were going to describe this book to one of your friends, what would you say?
- Do you believe in vampires? Why is this?
- Have you ever felt a prickle on the back of your neck, because you thought someone was watching you? Were they?
- Amy is good at archery. Have you ever tried a less common sport like this? Did you like it? Did you continue doing it?
- What do you think it would be like to meet a clockwork creature, or person?
- Have you ever experienced a panic attack? If you feel able, can you describe how it felt?
- Do you work better on your own, or are you more of a team player? What makes you think this?
- What cool things have your parents done recently?
- Do you prefer books to have happy endings, sad endings, unexplained endings? Why is this? Give an example of each type from the books you've read.