Kids and Folklore
A short story collection where kids and folklore meet
KIDS & FOLKLORE
(A Collection of Magical Stories with Their Roots in Faerie Tales, Beliefs and Superstitions)
This collection of short stories, based on the folklore of The British Isles, puts children in the thick of the action.
How do you deal with a strange face in your fire surround? What is the significance of having dreams about dragons? Why is an abandoned house acting in a very strange manner?
These questions, and many others, are answered within these pages. Discover old beliefs and stories you never knew existed, in amongst some of your favourites, and come to your own conclusion about what may, or may not, be true.
Aimed at children aged 9-12, this collection contains eleven original short stories for children, using elements of folklore and faerie tales in a modern setting. A must for every child who loves folklore.
BOOK DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
- Which was your favourite story in Kids & Folklore? Why do you like that one best?
- If you were going to tell someone about this book, what would you say?
- What is your favourite folklore fact, or faerie tale? Explain why.
- Are you superstitious? Do you cross your fingers? Do you avoid stepping under ladders? What do you think would happen if you didn't do these things?
- What's the best dream you've ever had? Did it have anything to do with your real life, or was it something completely fantastical?
- If you were a giant, what would it be like to co-exist with the rest of us little people? How would your life be different? How would you act?
- People say that if dragons were real, they would never be able to fly (too big, too heavy). Argue the case that they would be able to fly. What reasons can you come up with?
- If you were trapped in a cave/tunnel on your own, would you stay put and wait to be rescued, or would you try to find a way out? Explain your reasons for your point of view and then list reasons why it might not be a good idea.
- Is there anything strange that has happened to you, like a door closing and no one being there? How did you feel at the time? Did it make you believe in ghosts, or could you find reasons as to why it happened?
- If you had the chance to be a mythical creature for a day, which one would you want to be and why? What would you do with your day to make the most of the experience?